Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Smoked Pork Loin and Creamed Peas

Preparing Tuesday night dinner is usually a little hectic. We arrive home from my daughter's dance class and I rush to throw dinner together so that we can eat and clean up before bedtime begins. Tonight, I put out this Smoked Pork Loin to defrost. It was a gift. One of the gifts my grandma is giving this season is the gift of pork. We've got sausage and bacon and ribs all stashed happily away in our freezer. This came from Stonie's Sausage Shop in Missouri. They are famous for their smoked meats for a good reason. It tastes awesome! I've been to the shop a few times and sampled many of their products. It's ALL good.


Since there were no instructions on the package, I just decided to heat it in the skillet like sliced ham on a Sunday mornin'. You have to be careful to just heat it, not actually cook it beyond the point of being heated or it will dry out. It may not be a bad idea to put a little water in your skillet. My dad also claims that he microwaved his to perfection. To each their own.


I stared into the freezer trying to decide what side to make with our smoked pork loin. I had half a bag of peas and some corn grown and bagged from "back home". I decided on both. If the kids wouldn't eat one, they'd eat the other.

As the peas and corn were cooking away on the stove top I decided on creamed peas instead of plain steamed peas.(This is why I do not fit into my jeans).

I melted about a tablespoon of butter(or more) in a small skillet.


Then I tossed in some thinly sliced onions and sauteed them until tender.


Next I added about 2 tablespoons of flour and some salt.


I poured in about a cup of milk


and cooked and stirred until slightly thickened.


I poured the mixture over my steamed peas.



The sweet creamy peas were a perfect contrast to the delicious salty taste of the pork loin.


Since I was on a roll, I also threw a biscuit onto the plate. Get it? Roll? Biscuit? Ha. Ha. My husband brought leftover biscuits home from a breakfast he had at work. As I look at this I think, "Cracker Barrel." It looks like something you'd eat at the Cracker Barrel. Smoked meat, two sides, and a biscuit. Mmmm. mmm. Uncle Herschel's Country Dinner Special. Well, it was a hit. My daughter actually said, "My favorite. Mommy, I like this dinner better than watching t.v." Coming from her, that is a big compliment.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails