Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts




I love this recipe! A little time intensive, but worth it. My mom made this recipe for New Year's Eve parties when I was a kid, so I always think of these savory bacon wrapped water chestnuts as party food. That is, when I think of them. And honestly, I hadn't thought of them in years. Then suddenly on December 30th of last year at 39 weeks pregnant, I had to have these for New Year's Eve. I made a whole batch and we shared them with our wonderful neighbors. Now I've made them again for my sister's holiday party.

Begin by making the marinade for the water chestnuts. You'll need oil, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, pepper, and cloves.


I pour all of the ingredients into a resealable plastic container


and give it a good shake.


Now drop in the water chestnuts to marinate. It's really better to use whole water chestnuts and cut them in half. Unfortunately, the store was completely out of the whole ones and I had to settle for sliced.


Time for the bacon! Cut strips of bacon into 3 pieces. Then, wrap the water chestnuts and secure with a toothpick.


Place them on a foil lined baking sheet and broil for about 10 minutes or until the bacon is brown and a little crisp.


Don't they look delicious?


Marinated Water Chestnuts Wrapped in Bacon

2 cans whole water chestnuts, drained and cut in half

Marinade:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 T. ketchup or chili sauce
1 T. vinegar
1/4 t. pepper
2 cloves, crushed (I used around 1/2 t. ground cloves)

Add the water chestnuts and refrigerate for 4-8 hours.

Cut strips of bacon into 3 pieces and wrap each water chestnut. Secure with a toothpick. Place on a foil lined baking sheet and broil for about 10 minutes or until the bacon is brown and starting to crisp.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My mom used to make this one too!
I now have a family full of addicts of this taste/texture sensation :o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails