Friday, May 1, 2009

Taco Salad



Taco salad is one of those meals that often finds it's way into the rotation at our house. It's in my "Favorite Recipes" notebook...not that I use a recipe anymore. I've got the basics down and I just start dumping. It's quick, it's easy, and it's yummy. This recipe makes a good-sized salad, so I was thrilled to receive the news of unexpected dinner company. My uncle called just as I was chopping the tomatoes. He and my cousin were passing through our town for a college visit. "Have you eaten?" I asked. "No." "Well, come on over! I've got plenty." Taco salad really isn't that good the next day. The chips get soggy, the lettuce gets wilty, the cheese...a little slimy. I was glad to feed two more guys and just put away a tiny Tupperware of salad when dinner was finished.

Here's how it comes together.

I use about 8 cups of lettuce. I just chop a head of lettuce up. I throw 4 cups in the bottom of a large bowl.


Next, half a can of rinsed kidney beans.


And one chopped tomato.


A sliced green onion.


Some sliced black olives.


About half a pound of prepared taco meat.


Sprinkle with shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese.


The next layer was supposed to be about 2 cups of broken Doritos. I use baked Doritos to lower the fat and calories in this recipe. I forgot to take a picture of the chip layer. After the chips, I repeat all of the layers again: lettuce, kidney beans, tomato, green onion, black olive, meat, cheese, and chips again.

Here's the finished product.


For dressing, I mix some sour cream with salsa. It's also good with Western dressing or Ranch.


Taco Salad

1 lb. lean ground beef
3/4 cup water
1 pkg. taco seasoning
8 cups shredded lettuce
1 can rinsed kidney beans
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 green onions, sliced
1 can sliced black olives, drained
2 cups reduced fat cheddar
4 cups baked Doritos
2/3 cup light sour cream
2/3 cup salsa

Prepare beef with seasoning according to package directions. In a large bowl, layer lettuce, beans, tomatoes, green onions, black olives, meat, cheese, and Doritos. Mix the salsa and sour cream to make the dressing.

For a printable copy of this recipe, click here!

6 comments:

Heidi said...

What a great looking taco salad! I know what you mean about it now being good the next day. Talk about some yucky lettuce and chips :)

Cate said...

I love salsa and sour cream mixed together. I usually use it as a dip for tortilla chips, but it looks great as a salad dressing - yum!

Deanna said...

Yummy! Wish that I had the ingredients to make it tonight.... it sounds great! And isn't it amazing how everything tastes even better when it is presented in a beautiful cut glass bowl?!!! :)

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

That looks delicious!!!

Donna-FFW said...

This salad looks terrific Krista.. and can you fed ex a copy of your favorite recipes book to me asap??

Debbie said...

Looks Delish! (so true what you said about leftover taco salad)

Related Posts with Thumbnails