Thursday, May 7, 2009

Grilled Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches



My last post on here was Monday. I'm definitely off the meal plan. Where've I been? Under the weather. Tuesday night I felt something coming on and by yesterday I thought I'd been hit by a Mack truck. Early yesterday morning, before I realized just how sick I was, I decided to start marinating the pork loin for last night's dinner. I never actually made it out of bed for dinner. My husband fed the girls a freezer pizza.

Here are the ingredients that I combined for the marinade right before I went back to bed: oil, soy sauce, steak sauce, garlic, brown sugar, ground mustard, and gingerroot.


I combined them in a large resealable bag and added my pork loin before putting it into the refrigerator. This loin marinated for two days. I think that I might make that a requirement for this recipe, because, it was phenomenal! Yep, that's right, whatever ails me did not take away my appetite. I felt miserable, yet hungry...for not-so-good-for-me comfort food, nonetheless. I'm talking malted milk balls and corn chips. Unfortunately, I haven't exercised in 2 days. I'm too sick. Right? Anywhoo, here's the pork loin soaking in that marinade.


Just as I was feeling a little better tonight and ready to fire up the grill, I realized that the weather was under the weather. What luck. Here's the view from my kitchen window. Ick.


Yesterday's sunny bouquet of dandelions, proudly arranged by my daughter, took a hit.


Rain...rain...rain...


So we slapped on our aprons and moved the party indoors. Pardon my pasty pallor and the zombie-like glaze over my eyes...I'm still feeling a little rough around the edges. Here's my baby tonight in her very first apron. Thanks, mom for the matching kitchen wear!



Just for fun, here I am with our oldest almost 2 years ago. That's me all big and pregnant. The baby (pictured above)is in my rotund tummy, under my apron. Boy, time flies...


So here I am with my little cooking prodigies. Let me tell ya, I needed all the help I could get in the kitchen tonight.


Alright, back to the sandwiches. The recipe instructs to grill the whole tenderloin. Since no one wanted to stand in the rain, I opted to broil the pork loin in the oven. I sliced it first. About 1 1/2" thick.


Place the slices on a broiling pan and broil on low, turning once until the juices flow clear.


While the meat broiled, I made the mustard-horseradish sauce. I just mixed the following ingredients: mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, sugar, ground mustard, Dijon mustard, and prepared horseradish.


I toasted the buns before placing the tenderloin slice on top. The recipe called for lettuce leaves to top the pork, but I discovered too late that I was out of lettuce. You know what was amazing with the pork loin and horseradish sauce? I sliced up a big sweet onion and topped the sandwiches with a generous pile of those. Oh my goodness, my mouth waters just remembering dinner. It really was so yummy! Rave reviews from my husband too! And the kids? They also liked the dinner, just omit the horseradish sauce for them.


Stay tuned tomorrow when I catch up to the meal plan with Bacon and Egg Pasta.


Grilled Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches adapted from Taste of Home's Light and Tasty Magazine

2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons steak sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 teaspoons brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
2 pork tenderloins (1 pound each)...I used a 1 1/2 pound pork loin

MUSTARD HORSERADISH SAUCE:
1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
6 kaiser rolls, split
6 lettuce leaves

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients; add pork.
Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Coat grill
rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Prepare grill for indirect
heat. Drain and discard marinade. Grill pork, covered, over indirect medium-hot
heat for 25-40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for
5 minutes before slicing. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream,
lemon juice, sugar, ground mustard, Dijon mustard and horseradish. Serve pork on
rolls with lettuce and mustard horseradish sauce.

Yield: 6 servings.

One serving: 1 sandwich Calories: 382 Fat: 10 g Saturated Fat: 3 g Cholesterol: 89 mg Sodium: 528 mg Carbohydrate: 34 g Fiber: 2 g Protein: 37 g Diabetic Exchange: 4 lean meat, 2 starch.

Weight Watcher's Points: 8

For a printable copy of this recipe, click here!

5 comments:

Hungry Hungry House said...

That looks so good Krista! And props to you for looking so good after feeling ill! Those pictures are adorable! I love the aprons..so cute! So does your mom make them all for you!? The girls are so cute! Time for number 3 yet :-)

Krista said...

Thanks, Amy!

Mom buys the aprons at fun lil' boutique-y stores when she travels.

Number 3... hmmm. We're ready, but planning around travel schedules. A Vegas trip is planned in July. I will NOT do Vegas with swollen ankles again! We were going to "go for it" after that, but now there's a trip for next Spring on the books too. Sometime this year...God willing!

Amy said...

Love the PINK!! You guys are too cute :o) I might give that burrito recipe a go this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hey Krista!

So sorry to hear you're sick. I had my turn with it earlier this spring. Hits ya hard, doesn't it?

How cute are the pictures of you & your cutie pies?!? Thanks for sharing.

The sandwiches look great. Pork loin is on sale this week, so I'll have to give them a try. My kids love pork loin, even PrincessPickyDD7.

Donna-FFW said...

Krista.. this looks absolutely delicious. I love the marinade, the whole sandwich is terrific, and you are gorgeous and the girls.. just adorable!

Related Posts with Thumbnails