Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Reflection and The Meal Plan for 5/26- 5/31

I apologize that I am a day late with my meal plan and grocery list this week. When I was throwing suitcases into the car for our long weekend with family and friends, I wasn't even thinking about the meal plan or how I would post away from home. I hope that you all had a wonderful and relaxing Memorial Day weekend.

I also hope that in the midst of cookouts and parades and racing that you were able to take a moment to reflect and honor the service men and women that sacrificed so much in the service of our country. I have a number of veterans in my own family and I have friends that are currently serving in the military. I'd like to take a moment to express my gratitude to all of them. I'd also like to honor a fallen soldier in this post. I attended elementary school and high school with Marine Lance Cpl. David K. Fribley. We went to different universities, but David pledged the same fraternity as my then boyfriend, now husband. Our paths crossed a occasionally in the college years. He was such a good person and it was always a pleasure to see him. The terror attacks of September 11th inspired David to quit his job at a southern Florida retirement home and sign up with the Marines. On March 23rd, 2003 he became the first Indiana native to die in the war. David was a true patriot. He wrote the following in a letter to co-workers prior to leaving for bootcamp,

"The greatest gift one can give to another is the gift of service. I do not know who said this but I’ve heard this saying before. The following is my gift to you; may I honor you and our fellow countrymen and women. I will earn the privilege to wear Eagle, Globe and Anchor for all those that cannot. With all the strength of my fellow Marines, we shall always provide you with the comforting feeling of safety that you have each day.”

In addition to starting the meal plan late this week, I'm taking off early. My husband and I will be attending an out of town wedding this weekend in our nation's capitol. As a matter of fact, the bride is one of my above mentioned friends serving our country. She's in the Navy. I am so proud of her!

Here is my abbreviated meal plan. No grocery list this week. I haven't quite decided which Cashew Chicken recipe I'm going to use yet. I'll also be posting a couple of cookout pitch-in recipes this week once I get my pictures downloaded from the weekend.

Tuesday May 26th

Texas Beef Barbecue

Wednesday May 27th

Saltimbocca of Zucchini
Don't miss this post! I may just have a new favorite food!

Thursday May 28th

Cashew Chicken

Friday May 29th

Dinner out in D.C.
Anyone have a suggestion?

Saturday May 30th

Petite Filet Mignon
Crab Stuffed Jumbo Shrimp
Wedding Cake
I'm serious. Are you jealous? I can't wait!

Sunday May 31st

Pizza Delivery!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great letter! I have so much respect for those serving our country. I have a family member serving overseas right now.

Have a great time in DC. Wish I could suggest a restaurant. However, last time I was there was as a chaperone for a bunch of 8th graders during a school trip. I ate more fast food that week than I care to remember! Ack!

Looking forward to Wednesday's meal post.

Heidi said...

What a great sounding menu. I am trying the texas beef bbq. It looks great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails