Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Chicken Divan

This recipe was is so good that I'm a little embarrassed to admit that between the four of us we ate the whole thing! No leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I guess voting made us hungry? A couple of reasons that I love this casserole, besides the fact that it just tastes good: it's quick and easy to prepare AND I usually already have these common ingredients in my house. Wait, that's 3 reasons. Oh, and one more thing, it's great with turkey too...so save those Thanksgiving leftovers!



Please allow me to walk you through the steps of Chicken Divan.




First, I picked all of the leftover chicken from my Garlic Herb Roasted Chicken off of the bone. I saved about 4 cups for the casserole (the two little bags) and that other big bag will go into the freezer with the dream of one day becoming chicken noodle soup or a pan of chimichangas.



The recipe calls for cooked broccoli. I used this steam in the bag microwave version. 5 minutes in the microwave and best of all, no mess!




Now just dump the broccoli into the bottom of a casserole dish and arrange it so the bottom is evenly covered. You may want to salt and pepper the broccoli to taste.


*Smack* That's the heel of my hand hitting my forehead. Here is where the next picture should have gone...if I had remembered to take it. Place the shredded chicken over the broccoli.

Now, in a bowl, mix the cream of chicken soup, mayo, lemon juice, and curry powder. I was out of curry powder. Not sure how. It's not like I use it a lot. It tasted just as good without. So if you have an aversion to curry or just don't have it stocked in your spice rack, no fear, it'll still be good.


Spread the mixture over the chicken layer of your casserole.



Sprinkle with cheddar.


Toss the bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle those over the top of the casserole.


Now bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.


And serve


Chicken Divan
10-16 ounce pkg. of frozen broccoli
Approximately 4 cups of shredded chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup mayonnaise (I used light mayo)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 - 1 cup shredded cheddar
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons butter

Cook the broccoli and place it on the bottom of a casserole dish. Cover with shredded chicken. Combine soup, mayo, lemon juice, and curry powder. Pour on top of chicken. Sprinkle shredded cheddar on top of other ingredients. Toss bread crumbs with butter and sprinkle on top of the cheese. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I've never made this recipe before. The Chicken Divan was DIVINE!!! I used paprika and herb-seasoning blend instead of the curry powder. Very scrumptious and the kids didn't even mind the broccoli. (I used kitchen scissors to chop up the broccoli into smaller bites. Big chunks of broccoli can be intimidating, even to adults!)

Krista said...

So glad you liked it! Great idea on the broccoli. When I was a kid, this was one of my favorites. I used to ask my mom to make it for my birthday.
Thanks for the feedback, Melissa.

Related Posts with Thumbnails