Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle and an Early Easter Dinner



This is my mom's signature Easter dessert. If you're on the look out for what to take to your family pitch-in this weekend, you can't go wrong with this recipe! Year after year we look forward to this dessert at the conclusion of our Easter dinner. I happened to have my camera handy as mom assembled the Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle this year, so I snapped some pictures.

This trifle can be broken into three components that are absolutely magical when combined. First, the strawberries. You want to combine 3 tablespoons of sugar and 3 tablespoons of almond extract (that's right...tablespoons!)With two quarts of strawberries. Let it marinate while you mix up the cream cheese filling and angel food cake.



The second component is angel food cake. You can purchase a pre-made cake from the grocery or make one "from scratch". My mom compromised in the middle of these two options and made an angel food cake from a box mix. Tear the cake into bite-sized pieces.



The third component is the cream cheese/whipped cream filling. This is a picture of the combined whipped cream and cream cheese mixture. In one bowl mix together 2 packages of cream cheese, powdered sugar, sour cream, vanilla, and almond extract. In another bowl beat the whipping cream, 1/2 teaspoon more vanilla, and 1 tablespoon of sugar until peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.



Then, fold in the pieces of angel food.



Beginning with the strawberries, layer the angel food cake mixture and strawberries alternately, all the way to the top of a clear glass bowl.



Finish with the strawberries. This is SO good and really simple to create. For me, the appearance of this strawberry trifle signifies that Spring has finally arrived.



Here's the recipe:

Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle

Filling:
2-8 oz. packages cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 pint whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon sugar

In a large bowl, cream together cream cheese and sugar, add sour cream, vanilla, and almond extract. Set aside. In a small, deep bowl, whip the cream, vanilla, and sugar. Fold whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.

1 Angel food cake, torn into bite-sized pieces

Fold cake pieces into the cream cheese mixture.

2 quarts fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons almond liqueur or almond extract

Stir strawberries, sugar, and extract together.

Starting with the strawberry mixture, layer with the angel food cake-cream cheese mixture in a clear glass bowl. Finish with strawberries.

For a printable copy of this recipe, click here!



Now on to dinner!


We will attend two Easter dinners this year, one with my family and one with my husband's family. My mom hosted Easter a weekend early as some of our family will be in Florida on Spring Break for the actual holiday. No recipes here, I just thought that I'd take you on a tour of our little Easter buffet.

This basket served as a centerpiece on one of the tables. Totally simple and sweet.



Our family has grown to0 big to fit around one table at family dinners (we have added 6 new family members in the past 5 years!) At this point, it's more practical to serve ourselves in buffet style rather than pass platters and dishes around to two tables. Here was the buffet this weekend:

First, a couple of starters. This time we had hot pepper jelly over cream cheese to spread onto butter crackers



and deviled eggs. Lots of deviled eggs...



Oh yeah, and Oreo bunnies.



My sister, Angie, brought her famous Casa Salad. One of these days I'll tackle it for this blog. It's amazing! One of my all-time favorite salads.



For the main course: grilled duck breast. This time it was Cajun marinated and grilled to perfection!



Um, The Colonel also made an appearance...just in case anyone in our family has not yet realized how wonderful duck tastes. : )



Now for the side dishes:

Buttery corn, frozen straight from the field last summer.



Also, steamed asparagus sprinkled with sea salt.



Since this is my all-time favorite veggie, I got a close up.



Wild rice too! This is SO perfect with the duck breast and asparagus. It's the perfect meal.(At least, I think so.)



What else? Oh, yeah! We can't forget the rolls. I ate mine with homemade peach jam. YUM!



Now for dessert. Of course, the Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle.



And these cute lil' cupcakes that my mom decorated.



Very sweet with their coconut "grass" and jelly bean "eggs".



Next weekend, another Easter celebration! I'll be contributing THIS Pork Loin as well as some appetizers and desserts. I hope that all of you have a wonderful holiday!

5 comments:

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Yum, yum, yum is all I can say!! Everything sounds terrific. Of course!!

4*KowBoys said...

I want to come to your house for Easter! YUM!! That dessert looks so good! I will definetely have to make that, soon... I am glad I found your blog. I added you to my follow list on mine!

Kim said...

The strawberry cheesecake trifle screams spring to me. It looks delicious. So nice that you all were able to have an early Easter Buffet. Everything looks very tasty! Sounds like both your Mom and your sister love to cook too.

Amy said...

YUM!!!! I definately think this Strawberry dessert will make its way into my kitchen very soon! I can't wait for Easter treats Kielbasa and Ham with sinfully cream-cheesy mashed potatoes!

La Bella Cooks said...

Wow! Everything looks absolutely mouth watering! What a feast. Your trifle is beautiful and I love the bowl you have it in. Happy Easter to you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails