Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Saucy Smoked Rib Dinner



I love ribs. Sauce drippin' down to your sleeves, gnawing on the bone...what's not to love? And these ribs from Stonie's Sausage Shop in Perryville, MO are where it's at! You may remember my post about Stonie's Pork Loin from my Cracker Barrel-esque dinner back in December. The folks at Stonie's are famous for their smoked meats and let me tell ya, these were smoked to perfection.

Here's where we begin. I pulled 2 racks of smoked pork ribs out of my freezer to thaw.




Following the directions on the package, I put a little water in the baking dish, covered them with foil, and popped them into the oven at 325 degrees.


Now free to start on the sauce (recipe below), I chopped some onion and celery and sauteed in butter until tender.


I dumped in the other sauce ingredients: water, ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and cayenne pepper.


Now give it a stir and bring it to a boil. Then I reduced the heat and let it simmer until my ribs had cooked for about an hour.


While the ribs bake and the sauce simmers, I decided to try my hand at some oven baked steak fries. I sliced up a few potatoes, brushed them with oil, and sprinkled them with seasoning salt.


An hour into the recommended cooking time, I pulled the ribs and covered them in barbecue sauce. This sauce happens to be one of my top three favorite rib/barbecue sauces. Of the other two, one is a spicy orange sauce...I didn't want to have orange over-kill after last night's Slow Cooker Orange Chicken, and I couldn't find the other sauce recipe. Not that I'm complaining, this dinner was my favorite meal this month!



I put the ribs and the steak fries in the oven for about 10-15 more minutes, then turned the ribs and stirred the fries. Back in for another 10 or so minutes, then I pulled the ribs and stuck the fries under the broiler for a bit to give em' a good crisp.

I plated it all up together with some good ol' creamy coleslaw. Finger lickin' good is an understatement.


Krista's Barbecue Sauce

1/2 finely chopped onion
1 finely chopped rib of celery
2 T butter
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
3 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T brown sugar
2 T cider vinegar
1 T lemon juice
1 T Dijon mustard
1/8 t cayenne pepper

Saute the onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Brush over your ribs and bake or grill.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails