Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mexican Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing



You need some of this amazing salad in your life! Bookmark this and share it with friends and family at your next cookout. Or just keep it all for yourself...you might want to after you taste it.

I found this recipe at Noble Pig. I've tried quite a few recipes from this mouth-watering blog about food and wine, and so far this is my favorite. I was all set to make this today. I thought that it would make the perfect soup and salad combo with the leftover 7 Can Taco Soup from yesterday's dinner. Then on Sunday, some friends invited us to a cookout. Since I already had the ingredients ready, I decided that this salad would be my contribution to the cookout. It was definitely a hit! Everyone had seconds and one or two people might have even gotten thirds (I'm not naming any names.)

I began by making the dressing.

You can make this in your food processor or blender or if you've got an immersion blender like my Cuisinart CSB-76 Smart Stick Hand Blender then you can use that and cut down on dishes! I gathered the dressing ingredients: avocado, fresh lemon juice, mayonnaise, olive oil, hot sauce, garlic, and salt.



I combined them in my blender cup and took my immersion blender for a spin.



This makes a really thick, creamy dressing that clings to the salad ingredients beautifully.



Next, I assembled the salad. I started with 3-4 hearts of romaine, because they were on sale this week at ALDI. Then I sliced some tomatoes and tossed them in.



Next, I tossed in the chips and cheese. I had about a cup of generic brand Fritos left in a bag in the pantry, so I used them up and added in a cup of crushed tortilla chips too. I added a little over half a cup of Mexican blend shredded cheese over the top.



Then came some sliced green onion and a can of black beans, drained and rinsed. You can really make this salad your own, adding in sliced black olives and jalapenos or whatever you like. I tossed the ingredients together and then...



Poured on the dressing. I used my big purple bowl for this recipe for no other reason except that it has a well-fitted lid. I put the lid on a gave this a serious shake to coat all of the salad ingredients with the dressing. If you don't have a lid for your bowl, no biggie...just toss it really well as the dressing is thick and you want to taste it on every bite of the salad...it is SO good!



Now you're ready to serve. Man, this is a fabulous salad! I'm definitely making it again.



Mexican Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing adapted from Noble Pig who adapted it from Dice With Spice

For the dressing:

1 large avocado
1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/4 extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves
3/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings. Cover and refrigerate. Toss salad with dressing right before serving.

For the salad:

1-1/2 to 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
2-3 large tomatoes or 6-7 small tomatoes
2 cups corn chips, crushed into pieces
1/2 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
15 ounce black beans, drained and rinsed
5 green onions, chopped

Combine all ingredients in a big serving bowl and toss well with dressing. Serve immediately.

To download or print this recipe click here!

18 comments:

Kim said...

Isn't creamy dressing the best? What I love about this one is that you know it is the ultimate in creamy, especially with that avocado added in there. I think I could do some serious damage to a bowlful of this salad!

You make the salad. I'll make the banana pudding. Sounds like a great plan, right ;-)

teresa said...

oh my gosh, what a gorgeous salad! i LOVE salads, especially for lunch. i could see myself making this over and over again!

Katy ~ said...

That dressing looks fabulous! I can just imagine it on all sorts of different salad ingredients, shrimp, oranges...oh the possibilities!

JNFin said...

We had this last week and it was AMAZING! I used chipotle lime chicken strips in it and we nearly ate the entire thing (just the 3 of us!!) Thanks again, Krista!!

Anonymous said...

This looks great! Is it 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil?

Anonymous said...

I made the salad and thought it was great. I wrote about it on my blog here: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2010/05/18/mexican-salad-with-creamy-avocado-dressing/

theUngourmet said...

Yum! I don't know how I missed this one. That dressing is brilliant!

Stacy said...

Made this with our dinner tonight. It was so delicious!

Jon Armani said...

I absolutely love this recipe! My husband and I have made it a few times now and just love it. Thank you for posting such a great recipe!

Amber said...

I absolutely love this recipe! My husband and I have made it a few times now and it never disappoints! Thank you for posting such a brilliant recipe!

Unknown said...

Is it possible to make the dressing without mayo?? I'm not a huge fan of mayo but would love to try the dressing.

Unknown said...

1/4 cup of EVOO? It doesn't say and I want to make it!

Momof4cuties said...

Wondering the same as a couple of others about the EVOO is it a 1/4 cup???? Never made a dressing myself and some other people may have experience and know cup verses only tsp.Sorry I know it may seem trivial but if anyone that has made it could even respond I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much! :-)

julie said...

If you look in the photo, it *looks* like 1/4 cup of olive oil?

Unknown said...

Made with plain greek yogurt instead of mayo (healthier and adds protein). Also, I completely forgot about the oil. It was tasty anyway...tasted almost like ceaser dressing.

Unknown said...

I used less than a 1/4 cup of EVOO, but I am pretty sure that is what she meant. I also used plain Greek yogurt to avoid the GM soybeans as oil in mayo.

Stacy T. said...

This dressing was amazing!!! We ate it on chicken taco salads...SO GOOD!!

Unknown said...

Used greek yogurt instead of mayo.....amazing just amazing

Related Posts with Thumbnails