Monday, November 9, 2009

Broccoli Fettuccine Alfredo



As you can tell from my meal plan, on most nights in this house, dinner is planned. The required ingredients can be found in my fridge and pantry, the needed protein is thawed. But every once in a while I find myself thinking, "What am I going to make for dinner?" It was on such a night last week that I developed this meatless pasta dish in my kitchen. As a family that eats a good deal of animal protein, I try to create one meatless dish per week. This fettuccine Alfredo was quick, easy, flavorful, and very filling despite the absence of meat. I threw it together with ingredients that I had on hand. I cut the fat by using skim milk instead of cream, upped the nutritional value with the addition of broccoli, and enhanced the flavor with garlic and some light Italian dressing.

To begin, I melted 3 tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Then I added in a couple of large cloves of minced garlic. Saute for a couple of minutes and then stir in light Italian dressing.



Stir flour into the mixture until smooth and then whisk in 1-1/2 cups of skim milk. Cook and stir until thickened.



Now add 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Stir until melted.



I cooked my broccoli (approximately 1 lb.) in the microwave until tender. Use the steam in the bag variety for extra ease in preparation.



Stir in the broccoli.



Now add fettuccine, cooked according to package directions and toss until coated with sauce. I used 3 bundles of fresh pasta purchased from Ohio City Pasta at the Westside Market. You can also use dry fettuccine prepared from the box. It's certainly more cost effective. However, if you haven't used fresh pasta before, you've gotta try it! It takes your pasta dishes to a whole new level. Here I used a combination of garlic and herb and roasted red pepper fresh fettuccine. Yum!



And that's dinner in just minutes!



Broccoli Fettuccine Alfredo

Makes:5-6 servings

3 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons light Italian dressing
3 tablespoons flour
1-1/2 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4- 1 lb. tender broccoli pieces, steamed until tender
3 bundles fresh fettuccine or 3/4 lb. dry, cooked according to package directions

Heat butter in a skillet. Saute garlic for 2-3 minutes. Stir in Italian dressing. Add flour. Stir until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium high heat until thickened. Add cheese. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add broccoli. Cook and stir for an additional minute. Toss with fettuccine to coat with sauce. Serve with bread and salad.

12 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

I love the sound of this dinner. A perfect one dish meal.

theUngourmet said...

Your are so good at whipping up a delicious dinner! I always hop over here when I'm lacking inspiration at dinnertime. Love the colored pasta!

Coleens Recipes said...

I could easily eat this 7 nights a week...delicious.

Katy ~ said...

Love the exuding creamy goodness. The bright colors have such appeal and draw me in and tempt my taste buds with its promise of deliciousness delivered.

Ginger said...

I know what I am making for dinner tonight!! Delicious, delectable and light! That is my kind of dinner. Wonderful photos by the way!!

LaurenaDoone said...

Thanks for the yummy, simple recipe.. I am going to make it right now. My bf loooves alfredo, so I'm going to try this out on him:) I will let you know how it turns out! PS. Love reading all of your recipes and meal plans! I am new to the blogging world and have referenced yours often. Thanks:)

Chicago Mom said...

Oh, that looks so good! My husband loves Alfredo sauce and I love broccoli! A match made in heaven! haha!

Reeni said...

Fettucine Alfredo is a big favorite at my house! I love this with the broccoli and those tasty pastas!

LaurenaDoone said...

I made this recipe today and it was a hit! I tried to win over my bf and prove to him that Olive Garden was not the only place to get good alredo:) He now agrees thanks to this recipe!! I just added chicken. I also made your banana muffins and will be making them again and again and..you get the point! THANKS

Heather S-G said...

Yum, that sounds really delish! The pasta looks so good. (my Spartans play your Boilermakers this weekend!!!)

Julie said...

I love the colors here! How healthy looking! Yum :)

Leah Beyer said...

I am in a spaghetti rut for a quick weeknight meal. Loved this idea. I included it in the 25 quick meal ideas blog post I did today. Come checkout the other recipes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails