Sunday, November 22, 2009

Apricot Pecan Bars



This recipe is straight from my "Favorites" notebook. I've been blogging for a little over a year and somehow there are a few favorites that I haven't shared with all of you...yet. I keep getting distracted and trying new ones. So many recipes, so little time! These apricot pecan bars are so yummy (that's why they're in the favorites notebook!) and really easy to make. They'd be a hit at a holiday pitch-in or a welcome addition to your Christmas cookie line up. Heck, they're good just to keep on your kitchen counter and give yourself a break in the afternoon. Pour a cup of coffee or tea and grab one of these for an excellent pick me up on these steely gray November days. They just make me happy. (Emotional eater...what? Who!?) This recipe makes a 9 X 13 pan, so it's probably a good idea to share the love rather than eat them all on your own. From this batch, I took a plateful, still warm from the oven, to a friend on her birthday. The next morning I took a dozen or so to share with the parenting group I attend. I sent the rest to work with my husband. Apparently they were a hit. He called mid morning to ask, "What're these things called?" Inquiring minds wanted to know.


The love begins here...just unroll a tube of refrigerated crescent rolls into the bottom of a 9 X 13 inch baking dish. Press to fit the bottom of the pan, sealing the seams.



Mix together finely chopped pecans, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Sprinkle over the crescent roll dough.



Now drop apricot preserves evenly over the top of the powdered sugar mixture.



In a bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar. Cut in a stick of butter. Then stir in some coconut and more pecans.



Top the apricot layer with this buttery, coconutty, pecan-riddled goodness.



And bake.



Cut. Eat. Share.



Spectacular!



Apricot Pecan Bars (I have no idea who deserves credit for this recipe. I hand wrote it into my notebook years back and I've been making it ever since. Whoever came up with this one, they deserve a pat on the back.)

8 oz. refrigerated crescent rolls
1-1/2 cups finely chopped pecans (divided)
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
12 oz. jar apricot preserves
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cold butter
1 cup sweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Press crescent roll dough into a greased 13 X 9 X 2 inch pan. Combine 1 cup of pecans, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Sprinkle over the crescent roll dough. Drop preserves over the top. Combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in coconut and remaining 1/2 cup of pecans. Sprinkle evenly over preserves. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.

To get a printable copy of this recipe, please click here!

7 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

I am so trying these Krista.. Does the crust hold well? How long do they stay fresh?

Krista said...

Hi Donna! The crust holds up great. As far as freshness, I had a couple left after giving them away. The last one had sat on my countertop (loosely covered) from Sunday night to Friday morning and I decided to take a bite. The topping was a little dry by then, but it was still completely edible. I bet if you kept them tightly covered they'd keep 5-7 days. Hope you like them as much as I do!

theUngourmet said...

Love these! Your recipes are so fun and easy to make. I always come over here and check to see what your up to when I'm running low on meal ideas. I really want to make these bars!

Palidor said...

Those would make me happy too! Perfect along with my afternoon tea or morning coffee. ;-)

Reeni said...

What scrumptious bars! I love the coconut topping!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

yummy gooey and chewie

Katy ~ said...

Apricot and pecans. How can they be bad!

Related Posts with Thumbnails