Thursday, September 9, 2010

Zucchini Skillet Dinner



This was a perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner! Full of flavor, oozing with cheese, and oh yeah, packed with healthy veggies too. This meal was inspired by a zucchini skillet recipe from Recipes Straight from the Kowboy's Kitchen. Rachel altered a recipe for vegetable stuffed zucchini to make this easy skillet recipe to meet her family's tastes. I happened to have two big zucchini and a bunch of tomatoes that I'd just purchased from the local farmer's market when I saw her post. Excellent timing! I put my own spin on her recipe and this is what I came up with.

First, I cut up 3-4 red potatoes, arranged them on a baking sheet, drizzled them with olive oil, and sprinkled them with seasoning salt. Then I popped them into a 400 degree oven until tender and browned. You'll probably want to stir them once or twice. I baked them for 15...maybe 20 minutes.



While the potatoes roast, brown a pound of Italian sausage in a skillet. To cut the fat, try turkey sausage. It's good stuff. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of this step. Remove the sausage from the skillet to drain on a plate lined with paper towel. Leave the drippings in the skillet. If your sausage is very lean, then you may need to add a little oil to the skillet before throwing in the chopped zucchini and onion. Saute until tender, then add in a couple cloves of minced garlic and cook and stir for a minute longer, until fragrant. I should mention that I like to give the zucchini a little sprinkle of seasoning salt as well.



Add in a teaspoon of Italian seasoning or some dried basil and oregano.



Then stir in the tomatoes. I think I used two medium to large chopped tomatoes.



Add the sausage back in to the mix. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes.



Stir in the roasted potatoes.



Taste the mixture, then salt and pepper as needed. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Cover again until the cheese melts.



And that's dinner!



Krista's Zucchini Skillet


3-4 red potatoes potatoes, cut up

olive oil

seasoning salt

1 lb. Italian sausage

1 medium zucchini

1 tablespoon olive oil (of needed)

1 medium onion, chopped fine

2 large cloves garlic, finely minced

2 tomatoes, chopped

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend

1-1/2 cups shredded Colby Jack, Monterrey Jack, or Cheddar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut up potatoes and arrange on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt. Roast until tender and browned (15-20 minutes), stirring a couple of times during the roasting process. Meanwhile, cook and crumble sausage in large skillet until cooked through. Set aside. Add more oil to pan, if needed. Add in zucchini and onion. Sprinkle with seasoning salt. Saute until tender. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant. Add sausage and tomatoes to pan. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes. Stir in roasted potatoes. Turn off stove and add cheese to top, re-cover until cheese is melted.

Notes: You could easily reduce the fat in this recipe by using turkey sausage and using less cheese...or omitting the cheese altogether. Save on time (and dishes) by adding frozen diced pototes/hash browns from your freezer, rather than roasting your own.

For a printable copy of this recipe, please click here!

4 comments:

theUngourmet said...

Great dinner! Hey, I'd even throw in some eggs and call it breakfast for tomorrow morning!

4*KowBoys said...

I am glad you tried the recipe! It is delicious isn't it!? I love seasonal dishes! Yum!!

Lindsey said...

This sounds awesome! I have some ripe tomatoes and zucchini from my garden ready to be used in something, so this will be perfect!!

Katy ~ said...

OK, so now I'm torn. I saw the zucchini bread recipe and say, YEAH, I want THAT. Now I see this, and I'm saying I want THIS!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails