Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Buttermilk Pie



I made this pie a few weeks ago. I volunteered to bring dessert to a cookout, and then realized that I really didn't have many dessert-type ingredients in the house. I did have a quart of buttermilk in the fridge and a pie crust in the freezer. I remembered seeing a recipe for buttermilk pie somewhere, and after a quick search, I found this recipe on the Better Homes and Gardens website.

The preparation for this pie was similar to my favorite Sugar Cream Pie or a Custard Pie, which as I type this, I realize that I have never posted my favorite Sugar Cream Pie here. Look for that one this fall! This pie was not as sweet and dense as a sugar cream pie or as soft as a custard pie. It was somewhere in between. The consistency kind of reminded me of cheesecake. I didn't chill it for the whole recommended 4 hours before the cookout, because I ran out of time. But I wish I had because the leftovers were so much better after chillin' in the fridge all night.

Here's what I did:

First, I melted a stick of butter in a saucepan.



Then I stirred in a cup of sugar and a few tablespoons of flour. After this step, remove the saucepan from the heat.



While the butter melted, I beat 3 eggs until just fluffy.



Then I added buttermilk and vanilla to the eggs.



Gradually whisk the buttermilk mixture into the butter-sugar mixture...



Until it's smooth.



Then pour the mixture into a pre-baked pie crust.



I sprinkled mine with nutmeg, because that's what I do with my cream pie. It gives the pie a little extra flavor and color.



Bake and cool. Then chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.



Enjoy!




Buttermilk Piefrom Better Homes and Gardens

Prep: 25 min.
Chill: 4 hr.
Bake: 12 min./45 min.
Cool: 1 hour

Ingredients
1 recipe Pastry Single-Crust Pie, see recipe, or 1 rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust (1/2 of a 15-oz. pkg.)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare pastry and line 9-inch pie plate. Line pastry with double thickness of foil. Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 4 to 6 minutes more or until crust is lightly browned; cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.

2. In saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in sugar and flour. Remove from heat; set aside. In mixing bowl beat eggs with electric mixer on medium speed just until fluffy (about 1 minute). Stir in buttermilk and vanilla. Gradually whisk buttermilk mixture into butter mixture until smooth. Pour into prebaked crust.

3. Place pie on oven rack; carefully tent whole pie with foil. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until center is set when gently shaken. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. Makes 8 servings.

9 comments:

Kim said...

This looks like an excellent recipe for buttermilk pie! I tried one awhile back and it was somewhat thin and I've read others who have tried and found the same thing. This one looks thick and dense! Great tip using the nutmeg for color.

Looking forward to the sugar cream pie - I've never heard of it before, but it sounds wonderful!

Megan said...

I love a custard pie but haven't had one in a long time. This looks equally as good and a great way to use up my leftover buttermilk.

Plain Chicken said...

I just bookmarked a buttermilk pie on NPR.com - your pie looks great!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Absolutely perfect!!

Katie@ThisCrazyLife said...

krista, sugar cream pie is my absolute favorite! I can still remember the very first time I had it. ANd I mean i remember little details about it, wierd huh. Anyway, I can't wait for your recipe! We just started a new diet (down 7.2 lbs. in one week) but we have built in cheat days so I will have to save one for pie!!!

Keri said...

You're killin me! Here I am, trying with everything I have to eat 1200 calories a day, that means 6 small meals of 200 calories each or three meals of 400 caloires a day, or a 400 calorie breakfast, no lunch and a 700 calorie dinner or I could just eat half of this deliciously beautiful pie. Love, Keri samwich365.com

Elizabeth said...

This looks heavenly! It is also very unique, I have never heard of such a thing - I love it!

Mel at Adventures of Mel said...

This looks delicious! A good pie sounds wonderful right now, and this brings back memories of some of my grandmother's pies....I cherish her recipe box.

AnickH said...

the most popular recipe on allrecipes for buttermilk pie is same exact recipe as this one except calls for 1.5 cups sugar. would u recommend a cup like in your recipe or do you think 1.5 cups would be better like in the allrecipes recipe?
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/buttermilk-pie-iii/detail.aspx
the main flaw on this allrecipes recipe, and all the reviewers notice it is that it calls for 3 teaspoons flour when it should be 3 Tablespoons like in your recipe

Related Posts with Thumbnails