Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bacon, Onion, and Mushroom Pizza



This pizza was awesome! It was so delicious, that hours later while my husband and I were snuggled up on the couch watching our Friday night movie, one of us just out-of-the-blue said, "That was some GOOD pizza" to which the other replied, "Yes. Yes it was." and then our thoughts drifted back to the pizza for a moment and we smiled in unison. Cheesy, I know (no pun intended). But it really was that good. The crispy bacon, sauteed onions and mushrooms, and sharp white cheddar were definitely a winning combination.

To begin, sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal and preheat your oven to 425 degrees.



Press a tube of refrigerated pizza dough or french bread dough into the sheet.



Saute onions and mushrooms until tender. I gave mine a little sprinkle of salt too.



Crumble your cooked bacon (oh yeah, I forgot to tell you to fry the bacon until crisp) and grate your white cheddar cheese. I used New York Sharp White Cheddar. I haven't found pre-grated white cheddar, but I don't mind grating my own.



Spread the onions and mushrooms onto the crust. I pre-baked my crust for about 6 minutes first. We prefer a crisp crust. Just ignore that far end of the pizza slathered in pizza sauce, it's for the kiddos.



Sprinkle on the bacon and cheese.



Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is nice and melty. Sprinkle with some chopped flat leaf parsley.



And serve. This was SO good!



Bacon, Onion, and Mushroom Pizza from Cooking Light October 2009

1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated French bread dough
2 teaspoons yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups vertically sliced onions (about 2 small)
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded white cheddar cheese
6 bacon slices, cooked and coarsely crumbled
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1. Find lengthwise seam in dough. Beginning at seam, gently unroll dough into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Stretch dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface; transfer to a round pizza pan or large baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.

2. Preheat oven to 425°.

3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place chopped onion in a bowl. Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add mushrooms to onion mixture; toss. Spread onion mixture evenly over prepared dough, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Sprinkle evenly with white cheddar cheese and bacon. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Sprinkle with parsley. Cut into 12 wedges.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 wedges)
CALORIES 316 ; FAT 14.9g (sat 6.6g,mono 5.5g,poly 1g); CHOLESTEROL 37mg; CALCIUM 224mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.1g; SODIUM 682mg; PROTEIN 15.6g; FIBER 0.9g; IRON 1.9mg

11 comments:

Julie said...

Oh my, just delicious! I'm drooling now.

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Those are some of my favorite toppings! Wishing I had the ingredients right now, yum!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

That is one delicious sounding pizza!

Chicago Mom said...

What a different combo! I love cheddar cheese on pizza, I always sprinkle some on frozen pizzas during the last 5 minutes of baking to up the flavor.

Reeni said...

What a mouth-watering pizza! Sounds so decadent!

Kathleen said...

Oh how i love pizza! This one sounds super yummy!

Katy ~ said...

What a dope I am. I have never thought to buy the refrigerated pizza dough. Now I'm going to. This pizza sounds dee-lish!

Molly said...

Ya'll are too cute and the pizza does look delicious!

Unknown said...

Krista,

Wow! I have to admit ~ I found your site by accident :) I was looking for pictures on Google for my upcoming Meal Planning Webinar & was interested in your "Zucchini Casserole" picture {the one with the foil & headed for the freezer}. Then ... once I read the recipe I knew I had to try & contact you!

I'm madly in love with the style of your blog! {another confession? I can burn water!} As the Organizer of our home {Fireman Dad does all the cooking} I'm always on the lookout for easy to follow steps in the kitchen.

That said, I would love to connect offline {btw, can I use that picture in my presentation?} & chat!

I hope this finds you healthy, happy & making time to relax,

April Welch
Certified Professional Organizer
april@simplyorganizedonline.com

P.S. We are so making this Pizza for our "family night" meal!

Kim said...

I'm not sure how I missed your posts last week! I love the combo of the white sharp cheese with the bacon and onion. I can defnitely see how it would be an amazing pizza. I have an award for you over on my site.

Unknown said...

Your post is providing some really good information. I liked its essence and enjoyed reading it. Keep sharing such important posts about this blog and its much more helpful for us .
สรรพคุณ เห็ด หลิน จื อ

Related Posts with Thumbnails