Monday, June 8, 2009

Broccoli and Ice Cream Sundaes



Yes, that is Hamburger Helper in the background. Actually, I don't even think it's "real" Hamburger Helper. I'm pretty sure it was the store brand version. What's worse, that I feed my family Hamburger Helper or that I really and truly enjoy Hamburger Helper myself? So sophisticated, aren't I? When I was growing up, my mom almost never served anything from a box or a can. A home-canned jar, yes. A store-bought can, no. Most of our food came from the garden. My mom even made our yogurt! Believe it or not, I was in college when I tried my first Chef Boyardee(I didn't like it). As a result when we got Hamburger Helper or a t.v. dinner (at my grandma's house) it was a real treat. Not that I need to justify my love for food from a cardboard box to all of you or anything...lol.

I had my camera out while I was preparing the knock off Hamburger Helper. My husband noticed as he passed through the kitchen. "You're taking pictures of Hamburger Helper?!" He asked, eyebrows raised. He probably thought I was losing it. No man, it's all about the broccoli. This was some really good broccoli! A big hit, even if I did have to bribe my 4 year old with ice cream for dessert if she ate her vegetables. After she got through the first bite, she loved it. Good thing, too. I mean, if I'm going to fill her up with Hamburger Helper and ice cream, I better make sure there's a little vitamin and dietary fiber in there too, right?

I washed a head of broccoli and cut it into florets.



Then I heated a couple of tablespoons of oil and threw in two minced garlic cloves.



I sauteed the broccoli until it was crisp-tender and gave it a couple of twists from my Cajun seasoning grinder and a little extra salt.



That's it. Super simple delicious broccoli!



Since everyone ate their broccoli, I hauled out the ice cream. And the chocolate syrup. And the sprinkles. And the whipped cream. And the cherries... Hey, just because we're eating ice cream in the comfort of our own kitchen doesn't mean that we can't dress it up a little.



Go ahead and try it. Ice cream is always good, but I think it tastes even better when it looks so pretty.



Cajun Spiced Broccoli from Healthy Cooking Magazine

1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced
3/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning

In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute broccoli in oil until
crisp-tender, adding the garlic and Creole seasoning during the last 2 minutes of
cooking.

Yield: 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts: One serving: 1 cup Calories: 107 Fat: 8 g Saturated Fat: 1 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 166 mg Carbohydrate: 8 g Fiber: 5 g Protein: 5 g Diabetic Exchange: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.

5 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

The broccoli sounds delicious with that seasoning. You cant get any better than an ice cream sundae! Looks delicious also!

Heather S-G said...

Yummy meal if you ask me...ice cream sundaes....ahhhhh....

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

At first you scared me with that combo LOL!!

I did something similar to this from Dr. Weil with olive oil, pasta & Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes & it is soooooo good. I love broccoli!

Oh, and I'm one of those weird people who happen to like Hamburger Helper too - haven't had any in awhile but one of my favs was the lasagna!

Katy ~ said...

First time visiting your blog. It's a lot of fun. I like how you spoke of "keeping it real."

LOL about the Hamburger Helper. My Sweetie-Pi loves it.

Delicious way to serve broccoli. We would like that too.

Ice cream sundaes are always welcomed here as well.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. I am pleased to welcome you hope that you come by again and visit!

Reeni said...

I love the spicy broccoli!! And mmm, I'm going to have to make myself an ice cream sundae now loaded with goodies like yours!

Related Posts with Thumbnails