Friday, October 31, 2008

Thrifty Thursday!

The description or should I say, disclaimer on this week’s meal plan was "Nothin Fancy". This meal was certainly simple and for the budget conscious (who isn’t these days?), a score. If you looked at the Split Pea Soup post, you noticed that one of the ingredients was Turkey Kielbasa. Many of you expressed distaste for split pea soup (I still stand by my soup), but maybe you’ll like straight up kielbasa better. The kielbasa I purchased at my local grocery were buy one get one free. So, I tossed 2 into my cart. Kielbasa may not be a personal favorite, but it is a hit with my family. I used one package for the soup and put the other in the freezer. I pulled it out to thaw for my Nothin' Fancy meal plan this week. I cooked it in the skillet according to the package directions and served it with one of those store brand cartons of freezer broccoli and fried potatoes. The potatoes involved the most effort and in my opinion, were the most tasty item on the menu. The broccoli was purchased in the little microwavable packages and cost $1 (10 for $10 mix and match freezer veggies). So, the entire cost of this meal to feed my family of 4 was less than $5. Everyone was full and happy. Not too shabby. Maybe I should run for some sort of office. I could reform….cut spending…don’t you think?


To make the potatoes, I melted about a tablespoon or two of butter in my skillet.

I’m a butter girl. I know there are arguments for both sides, but butter just tastes better and it’s not a hydrogenated, trans fat. That’s just my personal opinion. If you want to read studies by the Mayo Clinic or email forwards regarding the fact that margarine is just one molecule away from plastic, I can forward those sites to you. Me, I made up my mind a long time ago. Butter. It’s good stuff.

Then, I just peeled and thinly sliced 2-4 potatoes and tossed them into the skillet atop the golden, melted butter. If you like onions (and I do!) then throw in some onion slices as well. Salt and pepper to your taste. Now, I essentially stir fry the potatoes and onions until they are tender and golden brown.



Plate those potatoes with the kielbasa and broccoli and you have yourself a low cost dinner in about 15 minutes with prep time included.

3 comments:

Kalynn said...

Our family likes kielbasa. We make sauerkraut & kielbasa, which a lot of people would frown upon, but it really is good.

Anonymous said...

We make our fried potatoes like that, with onions, and then I throw in 1/2 a bag of frozen corn. Yummy!

Yum! Sauerkraut and kielbasa is eaten in our house at least once every few weeks. Kalynn has it on the nose!

Krista said...

I like sauerkraut too. In fact, I almost purchased sauerkraut to put with this meal...then I realized that I'd be eating it alone. The other members of my family tend to turn up their nose at the pickled cabbage concoction. I love sauerkraut with a pork loin and mashed potatoes too. Mmmm mmm.

Related Posts with Thumbnails