Thursday, February 18, 2010

Crock Pot Chicken Soft Tacos



I could go on and on about how wonderful and delicious these chicken soft tacos are, but I think that the picture speaks for itself. Instead, I'll boast how easily this meal comes together. Just haul out your crock pot, toss in four ingredients, and turn your slow cooker to the lowest setting. Tah-dah! The best chicken taco meat...EVER!

I started with a 3 1/2 lb. package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts arranged in the bottom of my slow cooker. Out of habit, I gave em' a sprinkle of salt and pepper. In retrospect, this probably wasn't necessary as the taco seasoning adds enough salt and flavor to the dish.



Then I dumped in 2 packets of taco seasoning and 1 packet of fajita seasoning (because that's what I had in my pantry) and a jar of salsa. I used homemade salsa, but you could just use your favorite brand or the least expensive. Whatever.



Then I poured on enough chicken broth to cover the meat.



The lowest setting on my slow cooker is 10 hours. Even though I set it to the lowest setting, these were perfect when I checked them at 5 hours. Tender and falling apart, just as I hoped they'd be. I removed the meat to a dish.



And shredded with a couple of forks.



Then I returned the chicken to the cooking juices in the slow cooker and heated through. That's it. Love it.



While the chicken soaked up that flavorful juice, I prepared the toppings and heated my tortillas. We received this fun serving tray as a wedding gift. I can't count how many times that I've used this over the years. It's perfect to place in the center of the table on taco night.



The final step, build your tacos! I sprinkled mine with some freshly grated pepper jack cheese,(the kids used shredded cheddar), shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and finally a dollop of sour cream. It was dreamy. Completely satisfied the craving I've been having for Mexican food.



Because I used over 3 pounds of chicken, this made plenty of extra. This meat is so versatile. Think topping for chicken nachos or a salad, filling for chicken enchiladas or quesadillas, meat for Chicken Tortilla Soup or Zippy Chicken Soup. I bagged the remainder. One package for the fridge to use up in the next couple of days and one for the freezer and meals to come.



Chicken Soft Tacos

3 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 packages taco seasoning (I used 2 taco, 1 fajita)
1 jar salsa
chicken broth to cover

Arrange chicken in the bottom of slow cooker. Add taco seasoning and salsa. Stir to coat. Pour in enough chicken broth to cover. Turn slow cooker to lowest setting and cover. Remove chicken to a plate or casserole dish when it is fall-apart tender. (Mine took 5 hours). Shred meat. Return to cooking juices. Heat through. Serve with warmed tortillas.

Topping suggestions:

lettuce
tomato
green onion
avocado
cilantro
shredded pepper jack or cheddar cheese
sour cream

To download or print this recipe click here!

9 comments:

Hungry Hungry House said...

These look AH-Mazing! Oh my gosh..how easy too! Wish I could make them tomorrow...but no meat so Saturday these are going to be on our dinner table!

Gloria Chadwick said...

Your chicken tacos look totally delicious! Love your serving dish... it's perfect for tacos! :)

Julie said...

That really does sound super...and easy!

theUngourmet said...

We love soft tacos at our house! Putting the chicken in the crock for the day is a terrific idea and I love that there were left overs to freeze for another meal!

Chicago Mom said...

I love how easy these are! Way easier than the recipe I currently use, which I will not use again. I'm switching to this recipe - thanks!

Reeni said...

These look incredibly delicious Krista! A huge favorite in my house. The crockpot is a great way to cook them.

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

You're right - the crockpot is the perfect tool for this dish. Super easy and looks delicious! I've never tried it with these seasonings, but that really simplifies it and how can you go wrong?! Cool platter!

Katy ~ said...

Oh. Oh. Oh. My. Heavens!!

A recipe that will be loved here. Thank you so much.

Katie@ThisCrazyLife said...

Krista, we had these for dinner last night and can I just say they were absolutely delicious! I tried to halve the recipe and still had leftovers! Any thing that can get your meat and potatoes cousin to eat chicken is a winner in my book! Plus they were so easy I don't see how I could not make them again. The only drawback is the dirty crockpot now soaking in my sink!

Related Posts with Thumbnails