Sunday, September 13, 2009

Meal Plan and Grocery List 9/14-9/20

Not long ago I received a request from all the way down in sunny Georgia. My dear friend and former neighbor Molly wrote, "I have a challenge for you...make 1 week of meals using less than 5 ingredients on all meals." Well, it just so happens that I have a cookbook titled, "Cooking with 5 Ingredients". This is the perfect week to take her challenge because not only is it the first week of school, dance lessons, and swim lessons for my daughter, but we're also preparing for a 5th birthday party! It'll be crazy around here! Because I'm preparing for company, I had to ditch the 5 ingredient rule for the weekend, so this plan only includes 4 meals with 5 ingredients. But I like this idea...so in the coming weeks, I plan to include 1 meal with only 5 ingredients per week.

One disclaimer: the Shrimp Scampi slated for Wednesday uses the required 5 ingredients, however if you choose to serve it over pasta, it's 6. I've never been good at sticking to the rules!

Oh, and one more note... rather than the usual grocery list, I chose to list the 5 ingredients needed for each meal below the name of the recipe so you can see which 5 ingredients will go into the dish.

So, here it is...I'm pleased to bring you 4 meals with 5 ingredients!

Monday September 14th

Chicken Ole

chicken breast, 8 oz. cream cheese, picante sauce, cumin, green onions

Tuesday September 15th

Asian Beef and Noodles

ground beef, oriental flavored Ramen noodles, frozen stir fry veggies 16 oz., ginger, green onions

Wednesday September 16th

Shrimp Scampi

1 lb. shrimp, butter, lemon juice, garlic, tabasco, pasta

Thursday September 17th

Chili Pie

corn chips, onion, 19 oz. can chili, 12 oz. shredded cheddar

Friday September 18th

Pizza (probably take out) I'll be busy decorating a cake!

Saturday September 20th

Party Time!
Hog Roast
Baked Beans
Rotini Salad
Potato Salad
Chips n' Dip
Birthday Cake
Ice Cream

Sunday September 21st

Some kind of soup in the crock pot
The Pioneer Woman's Bacon Onion Cheddar Biscuits


How about all of you? Anyone have a good 5 ingredient recipe? Please post it in my comments. I'd love to give it a try!

3 comments:

Heather S-G said...

This is a good challenge. I may have to search out some recipes/books/etc and give it a try myself...but I'll have to work up to it. Can't wait to hear how your 5 ingredient recipes turn out. Um, count me in for the hog roast! :D I love hog roasts...have a great time and happy early bday to your daughter.

Katy ~ said...

This is a terrific idea!

Loving this post!

Molly said...

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/chipotle-nacho-burger-recipe

Here is one recipe that I just tried and Nate said "this is now my favorite burger!!!" The only thing he did different was put the avocado on the burger, but I thought it was great on the side as it helps ease the heat if your not a fan of that. Preston didn't like them so you may want to make plain burgers for the kids when trying.

Related Posts with Thumbnails