Thursday, September 17, 2009

Chili Pie



Tonight's meal from the 5 ingredient challenge was the the easiest to throw together yet! It came together in about 5 minutes and only needed to bake for 15. Best of all, my family loved this! No leftovers for tomorrow.

Here are my 5 ingredients: Fritos, a can of turkey chili, a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, onion, and shredded cheese.



Just put two cups of Fritos into the bottom of a pie plate, then sprinkle with about a cup of diced onion.



Then mix together the chili and 1/2 can of diced tomatoes. The tomatoes were my addition. This recipe originally only called for 4 ingredients. I only added half of the can because they were a little spicy and I wanted to make sure the kiddos would eat it. Pour the chili mixture over the Fritos and onion.



Top with cheese and pop it into the oven for 15 minutes.



And that's it! Dinner! Pictured below is actually the last serving of chili pie. I made a pretty bowl with a dollop of sour cream to photograph and then got distracted with feeding the kids. I totally forgot about taking a picture and sat down to eat. I had just finished my bowl and my husband was re-filling his bowl when he said, "This is really good. Did you get a picture?" Ooops. "No, I didn't. Here, give me that!" I snatched his bowl away. Luckily I snapped this while there was still something left to photograph!



Chili Pie

2 cups Fritos
1 cup onion
1 can chili
1/2 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Place 2 cups of Fritos in the bottom of a pie pan. Top with 1 cup diced onion. Mix chili and diced tomatoes together. Pour over Fritos and onion. Top with cheddar. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream.

9 comments:

chow and chatter said...

like the 5 ingredient challenge neat idea

Donna-FFW said...

This sounds delicious Krista. Great idea.

Julie said...

Yum! Reminds me of something they used to serve (maybe still do serve) at the Sonic where I used to live. I loved it! I'm sure homemade is much better :)

Chicago Mom said...

I am really loving your 5 ingredient meals; I am happy you took the challenge!

Reeni said...

Such a delicious comfort meal!! I love it!

Rachel said...

I was just talking the other day about making chili and my husband practically started jumping up and down...it's one of his favorites! Now, when he sees this recipe, he'll be even more excited...how can you go wrong with these ingredients and especially with how easy it seems to throw it together?!? Thanks for a wonderful idea!!!

Katy ~ said...

I was thinking about this same recipe not too long ago. I've never had it and was going to look for a recipe for it, and here you are. You are reading my mind! Sounds fast, filling an delicious!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I am getting ready for my neighborhood chili cook off. This looks great

Krista said...

I was thinking that this would be a great way to use up leftover chili too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails