Sunday, August 16, 2009

Vacation Meal Plan 8/17-8/24

We're on vacation this week. One last hurrah before school starts and life goes back to structure and meetings and extra curricular activities. I've found that one of the biggest expenses on vacation is dining out. We're staying in a small condo with an abbreviated full kitchen. It's got a refrigerator, sink, dish washer, microwave, toaster oven, and a tiny stove and oven combo. Pretty impressive array of appliances considering how very tiny it looks. See...




I packed a laundry basket and a cooler full of food from home and we hit the grocery when we arrived at our destination this evening. We'll eat breakfast in the condo, pack picnic lunches, and eat most of our evening meals here too. We have access to a grill, so we'll definitely be cooking out. Nothing "gourmet" this week. I'm keeping it simple...spaghetti sauce from a jar, hot dogs, hamburgers, and grilled cheese. Of course, paper plates. I'm considerably more lenient with my food choices when shopping on vacation too. I'll throw in a bag of chips, a package of cookies. Way more convenience and junk food than I ever buy when we're at home. Cheetos and Fudge Stripe Cookies. We're on vacation after all. Of course, my family loves it.

I've planned out meals for the week and have all of the ingredients, but I'm not assigning the meals to certain days of the week like I do when I'm home. Vacation requires a little flexibility. My children reminded me of that last night when they were still up and giggling from their new sleeping quarters...3 hours after their normal bedtime. Of course they got up earlier than usual! Roll with the punches, Krista.

Here are some of the easy meals we're having this week:

Tacos (from a kit)

Spaghetti (sauce from a jar) with garlic bread

Grilling Out: hamburgers and hotdogs

Beef and Noodles with (instant) Mashed Potatoes

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup

and maybe even....

Hamburger Helper

I told you I was keeping simple. And pretty inexpensive too!

Have a good week everyone!

8 comments:

Katie@ThisCrazyLife said...

oh come on, not even one meal out? You have to tell us and if so where you are going! Have a great vacay!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Oh you are so much more of a better woman than me! When we go to the beach and get a condo I always bring "snacks" (junk food) and even sandwich meat but dinner is always out! That is just part of the budget for me but then, it is only me and The Cajun. If I had a slew of young-uns at home, that'd be a different story, well, at least with the kids it would LOL!

Have fun on your last blast! The kids have been back in school around here for 2 weeks.

Krista said...

We'll still be dining out a little. At least one breakfast and a couple of lunches and dinners. A seafood restaurant is definitely in the plan! I'll take a picture for you, Katie!

Katy ~ said...

Enjoy your vacation! I love breakfast out; I feel so spoiled!

theUngourmet said...

Sounds like good vacations food to me, especially the Cheetos and Fudge Strip Cookies!

Have a great time! ;0)

Chicago Mom said...

Have a great vacation!

Julie said...

Love the little kitchen...sounds like a great week's menu :)

Donna-FFW said...

Have a most fantastic vacation!

Related Posts with Thumbnails