Monday, August 24, 2009

Caprese Salad for One



Just a quickie post tonight. I spent the whole day up to my elbows in salsa. 38 pint of delicious salsa are cooling on the countertop as I type. I'm ready to put up my feet and watch Top Chef Las Vegas, but first I bring you Caprese Salad. I had this for lunch on Monday and it tasted so good that I made it again on Tuesday. I'm still far from bored of these wonderful flavors and textures that join forces to create salad perfection. I'd eat it again and again.

This is super simple to throw together. I drizzled (although it all ran together and looks more like I "dumped") balsamic dipping oil onto my plate. This balsamic dipping oil is sold next to the bread in the bakery section of my local grocery. Then I sliced 4 pieces of fresh mozzarella and arranged them over the dipping oil.



Next I piled on the tomatoes. Don't be stingy here! I sliced these plum tomatoes in half lengthwise and then sprinkled with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Drizzle another teaspoon of the dipping oil over the tomatoes and top with basil.






This is me taking a bite...Mmmm. The mozzarella sort of marinates in the dipping oil and the sweetness of those plum tomatoes play perfectly against the welcome bite of the balsamic vinegar. And that fresh basil...it just finishes the flavors so beautifully. I know that I didn't re-invent the wheel here. I know it's just a basic Caprese Salad, people have been eating them like, forever... but I'm still in awe of how yummy these 4 ingredients are together.



Caprese Salad, deconstructed. I knocked over that pile of tomatoes and sopped up the dipping oil as I devoured this late summer treat.



Caprese Salad for One

balsamic dipping oil
4 slices fresh mozzarella
1 cup plum tomatoes, halved
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
fresh basil, finely chopped

Drizzle dipping oil on a plate. Arrange 4 slices of fresh mozzarella over oil. Pile tomatoes in the center of the cheese slices. Salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle an additional teaspoon of dipping oil over the tomatoes. Top with fresh basil.

7 comments:

theUngourmet said...

This is just about my favorite salad on the planet. I can't get over just how incredible these ingredients taste when combined! Mmm. Mmm.

Katy ~ said...

I agree with the ungourmet. Simply one of the best! Everything looks so amazingly fresh! Good pix!

Heather S-G said...

Yum, one of my all-time favorites! Looks awesome :D

Reeni said...

So simple but so delicious!! You rock for making all that salsa!!

Rachel said...

That looks like such a light and refreshing lunch!

The Original Soap Dish® said...

Very pretty! I make a similar salad using fennel infused olive oil, and goat cheese. Fennel is one of my new favorites. ~Aunt Becky

Molly said...

Yummy!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails