Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Grilled Steak Tacos

I haven't posted any of my cooking efforts in the last few days. Instead I've been catching up with my youngest sister who was visiting with my adorable 1 year old niece. My lil' sis has been a guest cook on here before with her recipes for Enchilada Casserole and Beef Wellington. Over the last couple of days I took my guests to the West Side Market, showed them the sites in my city, we hit the beach, went hiking, and stuffed ourselves with some delicious Thai food. Of course, I had to cook for her too. I know that she's a fan of Mexican food, so I choose these steak tacos to serve on the second night of her visit.



Before we set out for a day of exploring my town, I rubbed some sirloin steaks with a spicy blend and put them back in the fridge to soak in those seasonings.



When we arrived home after a fun-filled day with our daughters, I only needed to hand the steaks to my husband (who grilled these to medium rare perfection) and then chop up the taco toppings.



I got this fun serving dish from my sister-in-law, Katie as a wedding shower gift. I can't count the amount of times I've pulled this out of the cupboard over the years. It is so perfect for build-your-own-taco night! I chopped a tomato, onion, and cilantro. I also put out some mixed salad greens, sour cream, and a blend of Queso Quesadilla, Asadero, Queso Gallego, Manchego, and Anejo Enchilada cheeses from Sargento's Artisan Blends.



All of the taco fixings went onto the patio table with some chips and salsa and queso dip for the perfect make-your-own taco night on the deck. My husband moved our speakers outside and we chilled to some great music (my sweet hubby served as grill master and dj last night) and watched the kids play in the yard while we enjoyed our dinner.



These were a BIG hit! So fresh and flavorful and delicious!



The inspiration for these steak tacos came to me by way of the August 2009 issue of Better Homes and Gardens article "Twist on Taco Night". I used the rub from the recipe for Steak and Herb Tacos.

Steak Tacos adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Steak and Herb Tacos

Ingredients

2 lb. lean boneless beef top sirloin steak, 1 inch thick
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/4- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

For the tacos:

12 6- to 8-inch corn or flour tortillas
1 large tomato, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup snipped fresh cilantro
8 to 10-oz queso fresco cheese, crumbled or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded or Mexican Blend Cheese (I used Sargento's Artisan Blend)
sour cream
salsa or taco sauce
Lime wedges (optional)
Directions

1. Trim fat from beef; place on a baking sheet. In bowl combine marjoram, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper. Rub on both sides of beef. Cover. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (Mine went into the refrigerator for 8-9 hours.)

2. For charcoal grill, cook steaks on rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals until desired doneness, turning once halfway through grilling. Allow 14 to 18 minutes for medium-rare (145 degrees F) or 18 to 22 minutes for medium (160 degrees F). (For gas grill, preheat. Reduce heat to medium. Cook steak on grill rack over heat. Cover; grill as above.)

3. While beef is cooking, wrap tortillas in foil. Place on grill during last 10 minutes of grilling, turning occasionally.

4. Cut beef crosswise in slices or chunks. On each tortilla layer beef, tomatoes, chopped onion, cilantro. Add cheese. Serve immediately with limes. Makes 12 tacos.

5 comments:

chow and chatter said...

this looks wonderful I can see why it was a hit

Coleens Recipes said...

This is my hubbys favorite too! Nice photos.

Chicago Mom said...

Yum! I love how you put the toppings on that beautiful platter, nice touch!

Rachel said...

Where do I even start?!? First of all, your tacos look so good...I'm adding them to my "list of things to try" in the next week or two! The steak was cooked perfectly...your husband did quite a good job!!! That serving piece is too cute and PERFECT for taco night!!! Your recipes always look so good, Krista!!!

Heather S-G said...

Sounds like a great time!! And these looks delicious...mmmMMMmmmmmMM!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails