Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mushroom Risotto with Peas

I totally dig risotto. The creamy Italian rice dish is so versatile. You can add any number of ingredients and flavors and it makes for a perfect side dish or a filling main course. I haven't prepared a risotto in my kitchen since October, so when I saw Beth's post about Arancini di Riso on her blog The Seventh Level of Boredom, I knew that I would making risotto (and Arancini di Riso) in the near future. Arancini are rice balls coated with bread crumbs and deep fried. I know that they may not sound impressive from that description, but believe me, they are! (Stay tuned for the rice balls made with leftover risotto in tomorrow's post). For today, I'm going to focus solely on the risotto. Beth's post pointed me in the direction of Giada De Laurentiis' Mushroom Risotto with Peas. I altered the recipe to fit my kitchen and was so pleased with the result! It was seriously good, and had everyone (well everyone except for my oldest) reaching for seconds!

This is the fourth risotto recipe that I have prepared for this blog. The biggest difference between risotto and other types of rice/rice dishes is that you add the liquid gradually and stir the pot (a lot!)as the liquid is absorbed. Since I've written about this before, I'll spare you all of the details in this post. Feel free to check out my other risotto posts for more detailed instructions: Shrimp and Spinach Risotto, Summertime Risotto, and Ham and Cheese Risotto.

This recipe begins by heating butter and olive oil together in a skillet and sauteing onions. I added in a shallot (because I found one at the bottom of my onion basket) as well.


Then I stirred in a cup of finely chopped mushrooms. I used my Pampered Chef Chopper. Add some garlic too! The original recipe called for dried porcini mushrooms. I omitted them 1) because I didn't have any AND 2) because I have a weird mushroom allergy. (Weird because only certain types of mushrooms trigger this allergy and I haven't yet put the porcini to the test). Cook and stir for a few more minutes.


Then pour in the arborio rice. (You have to use a risotto rice like arborio to create the signature creamy texture.) Stir it for a bit to toast.


Then I began the task of adding liquid,(starting with a dry white wine and graduating to hot chicken broth) and stirring until the rice reaches the desired texture.


Once that creamy texture is achieved and the rice is tender, stir in Parmesan cheese.


And then some peas. My youngest daughter and I would have been happy with more peas. My husband and oldest daughter would be happy if peas did not exist.


With the peas warmed in the risotto, dinner was ready to go. Kudos to Giada! This is a delicious risotto!


Mushroom Risotto with Peas courtesy Giada De Laurentiis altered slightly by me

Ingredients
•8 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
•1/4 cup unsalted butter
•2 tablespoons olive oil
•2 cups finely chopped onions + 1 diced shallot (if desired)
•10 ounces white mushrooms, finely chopped
•2 garlic cloves, minced
•1 1/2 cups Arborio rice or short-grain white rice
•2/3 cup dry white wine
•3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
•2/3 cup grated Parmesan
•Salt and freshly ground black pepper, optional

Directions
Bring the broth to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan.Keep the broth warm over very low heat.

Melt the butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the white mushrooms and garlic. Stir in the rice and let it toast for a few minutes. Add the wine; cook until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of hot broth; simmer over medium-low heat until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook until the rice is just tender and the mixture is creamy, adding more broth by cupfuls and stirring often, about 28 minutes (the rice will absorb 6 to 8 cups of broth). Stir in the peas. Mix in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

*I mentioned that I used my Pampered Chef Chopper to chop the mushrooms for this recipe. If you're in the market for any Pampered Chef products, please check out MY PAMPERED CHEF SITE. The company is offering FREE shipping TOMORROW ONLY on orders of $75 or more. We're also offering some wonderful Mother's Day gift set specials too!(They'll even gift wrap) Check those out HERE. To shop my site click on the "Shop Online" option. Then, go to option #2 "Not invited to a show, but would like to place an order. It will ask if you're sure that you want to continue...the answer is YES, of course. : )

1 comment:

Faith said...

Oh man I love risotto!

Related Posts with Thumbnails