Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hearty Sausage Skillet


Hello readers! Sorry I'm posting this a day late according to the meal plan. I've been busy planning a party for the weekend. Which made this easy, one skillet dinner perfect for this week. For those of you that love hot dogs and mac n' cheese this is right up your alley...but a little healthier. I used turkey kielbasa AND there are veggies...tomatoes and broccoli. Oh, before you read on, I'd like to apologize for tonight's pictures. I am in no way a food photographer. I've never even taken a photography class. Not even in high school. I look at some of the beautiful photography on other food blogs and feel inadequate. However, some of these are particularly bad. My husband needed to take our camera to work and didn't return in time for dinner preparation. I took these with our camcorder. Good for movies...not great for pictures.

Begin by slicing the sausage. Then brown it in a large skillet.
 
Posted by Picasa


Now pour in 1 cup of water, a can of diced tomatoes, and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning. Bring it to a boil, then....


dump in the pasta from a box of Light Velveeta Shells and Cheese. Give it a good stir and then reduce the heat to medium and cover. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring twice.


Now add the broccoli florets and cook for another 5 minutes until the broccoli and pasta are tender.


Now stir in the cheese packet from the box and serve it up. A super quick dinner that your kids will eat (and you'll like it too) in just minutes.


Kraft Food and Family's Hearty Sausage Skillet

Prep Time: 5 min
Total Time: 25 min
Makes: 4 servings

What You Need
1/2 lb. OSCAR MAYER Turkey Smoked Sausage, sliced
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup water
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 pkg. (12 oz.) VELVEETA Shells & Cheese Dinner Made With 2% Milk Cheese
2 cups broccoli florets

Make It
BROWN sausage in large skillet on medium-high heat 5 min.; drain.
STIR in tomatoes with their liquid, the water and Italian seasoning. Bring to boil. Add Shells. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover.
SIMMER 7 min., stirring twice. Add broccoli; cook an additional 5 min. or until tender. Stir in Cheese Sauce until well blended.

Nutritional Information:
Calories 350 Total fat 9 g Saturated fat 3.5 g Cholesterol 55 mg Sodium 1290 mg Carbohydrate 48 g Dietary fiber 4 g Sugars 10 g Protein 21 g Vitamin A 35 %DV Vitamin C 40 %DV Calcium 20 %DV Iron 20 %DV

WW points per serving: 7

1 comment:

4*KowBoys said...

I stumbled across your blog today. I love some of the recipes I see. I think my family would love this quick-fix supper! I am adding you to my blog list on my food blog (gotta love those food blogs!) You have a great blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails